Sara Janes is an appellate lawyer who has successfully handled appeals in both state and federal courts. In addition to these matters, Sara is involved in strategy and briefing at the trial level, including dispositive motions and other pre-trial and post-trial motions, trial briefs, jury charges and legal memoranda.
She has trial, arbitration and appellate experience in a variety of substantive and procedural subject areas, including labor and employment, complex contract disputes, trade secrets, complex divorces, class actions, health care, pharmaceuticals, trademarks, and insurance. She has also provided pro bono representation at the trial and appellate level to immigrants seeking asylum in the United States.
- Obtained reversal of a 12(b)(6) dismissal in a multi-million dollar fraud case.
- Successfully defended the dismissal of a False Claims Act suit on appeal.
- Successfully defended a summary take-nothing judgment on tortious interference claims on appeal.
- Successfully defended a jury verdict against Batson challenges.
- Obtained reversal of trial court’s denial of a motion to dismiss a health care liability case.
- Second-chaired successful defense of employer in retaliation case; obtained award of attorneys’ fees from plaintiff.
- Successfully obtained asylum for Nepalese immigrant fleeing torture; successfully defended grant of asylum on appeal.
- Successfully defended a federal trial court decision in a Hague Convention international child abduction case.
Texas Super Lawyers, 2016-present, Thomson Reuters Legal
Texas Super Lawyers – Rising Stars Listing, 2011-2016, Thomson Reuters Legal
Discovery Mandamus Practice, UTCLE 21st Annual Conference on State and Federal Appeals, Presenter, Co-Author
State and Federal Appeals – What’s the Difference?, Texas Bar CLE 23rd Annual Nuts and Bolts of Appellate Practice, Co-Presenter, Co-Author
Overview of the Law of Misappropriation of Trade Secrets and Covenants Not to Compete in Texas, 2014 Civil Justice Conference, Co-Author
All Texas State Courts
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fifth, Eighth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits
U.S. Supreme Court
State Bar of Texas, Member
Federal Bar Association, Austin Chapter, Secretary
Austin Bar Association, Civil Appellate Section, Member
J.D. University of Texas School of Law, with honors, 2006
Notes Editor, University of Texas Law Review – Volume 84
Legal Research Board
B.A. University of Texas, Plan II and English, with honors, 1999