Bane Phillippi has advised a broad range of clients in complex business litigation, regulatory enforcement matters and transactional issues. Formerly with the Austin office of Haynes and Boone, Bane has developed an expertise in real estate, environmental and land use issues and other distinctive issues for the energy industry.
- Defended wide range of entities in enforcement actions, disputes and negotiations before the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.
- Defended company in Occupational Health and Safety Administration investigation involving workplace fatality.
- Represented business owner in complex international business litigation involving issues in Japan, Afghanistan, United Arab Emirates and Pakistan.
- Represented numerous land developers in matters before the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Represented business owner in litigation involving closely held company and breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract claims.
- Represented landowners in real estate disputes including restrictive covenant controversies.
- Defended various oil and gas companies in Oil Pollution Act enforcement actions brought by U.S. Department of Justice.
- Represented energy companies (including power plants and oil and gas producers), lenders and landowners in wide range of water rights transactions and disputes.
- Defended various companies in enforcement actions brought by the U.S. Department of Transportation relating to hazardous materials transportation.
- Represented the State of Texas in litigation under the Clean Water Act and state law, which resulted in $30 million settlement – the largest ever obtained under the CWA and state environmental law at the time.
HONORS and DISTINCTIONS
Best Lawyers in America, 2007-present
Texas Super Lawyers – Rising Stars Listing, 2004-2011, Thomson Reuters Legal
One of 10 Environmental Lawyers Under 40 to Watch, Law360, 2010
Appointed to Texas Judicial Compensation Commission, 2009 – 2015
Rising Star in the Central Texas Business Community, 2004, Austin Business Journal
American Bar Association, Member
State Bar of Texas, Member
Austin Bar Association, Member
SELECT PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
“Environmental Aspects of Business Transactions,” Texas Environmental Law, Volumes 45 and 46, West Group’s Texas Practice Series.
“Legal Developments in Environmental Law,” 26th Annual Land Outlook Conference, April 2016.
“Energy- Water Nexus,” Essentials of Texas Water Resources, Texas Bar Books, 2012.
“Oil Pollution Act Liability,” Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section Report, 2009.
“Carbon Nation – There’s Green in Greenhouse Gases,” Tierra Grande Magazine, July 2009.
“Oil and Gas Security Issues,” The Center of American and International Law, 56th Annual Oil and Gas Law Program, 2005.
“Homeland Security: Water Safety, Concerns and Protection,” Texas Water Law CLE, May 2004.
“Who’s Liable Now? New Federal Brownfields Legislation,” Texas Bar Journal, December 2002, Co-Author. Reprinted in Minnesota Real Estate Law Journal, March/April 2003. Reprinted in Real Estate Issues, Winter 2003 – 2004.
All Texas State Courts
U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Western Districts of Texas
U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
J.D. Baylor Law School
M.P.P.A. Baylor University
B.S. Texas A&M University