Kevin Terrazas is a Partner in Weisbart Springer Hayes who has represented clients in a wide range of complex trials and appeals on matters involving intellectual property, antitrust, employment, contracts, torts, and constitutional law throughout the nation. He has tried to judgment cases in both federal and state courts and has successfully represented clients in proceedings before the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth and Federal Circuits, the Texas State Courts of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court.
Before joining the firm, Kevin was a partner at Yetter Coleman LLP and a law clerk for the Honorable Priscilla R. Owen of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Prior to law school, Kevin served as a Captain in the United States Army’s Field Artillery branch, which included service with the 101st Airborne Division during Operation Iraqi Freedom. During his service, Kevin was awarded the Bronze Star Medal, Army Commendation Medal, and Army Achievement Medal, among other awards. He also is a graduate of the U.S. Army’s Ranger, Airborne, and Air Assault schools.
- Defended an international corporation against a non-practicing entity in a patent infringement suit involving smart grid technology, including successfully arguing Markman hearing.
- Represented international mining company in Texas Supreme Court concerning evident partiality of arbitrator.
- Successfully defended international corporation in FLSA collective action suit.
- Represented a steel service center for pre-trial matters in antitrust dispute that was later tried to a $156 million judgment.
- Tried an employer discrimination suit in federal district court, which resulted in significant changes to proposed consent decree.
- Argued contract dispute before the Fifth Circuit that resulted in vacatur and remand of bankruptcy court judgment due to lack of constitutional authority.
- Successfully represented minority shareholders of Austin-based health foods provider in dispute over ownership.
- Defended trial court’s order on mandamus before the Federal Circuit in a patent infringement suit over a device installed on an oil and gas rig.
- Twice successfully argued a voting rights dispute before the Fifth Circuit resulting in vacatur of the district court’s injunctive orders.
- Successfully represented victim of constitutional rights violations caused by a municipal employee.
- Represented institutional investors as amicus curiae in United States Supreme Court in support of winning side for securities litigation matter under the PSLRA
- Successfully represented executives in Title VII and §1983 discrimination case involving promotion practices of municipal fire department.
- Defended individual before the Texas 13th Court of Appeals and Texas Supreme Court concerning a medical liability claim resulting in affirmance of judgment.
- Successfully represented a large manufacturer of wireless devices in a patent infringement suit concerning Bluetooth technology.
- Represented individual in wrongful termination suit against non-profit employer that resulted in favorable settlement.
- Successfully represented medical device patent holders before the Federal Circuit in a dispute over an Inter Partes Reexamination.
- Represented association of district attorneys as amicus curiae in United States Supreme Court in support of winning side for case involving municipal liability for Brady violations
- Successfully represented a large energy corporation through trial and judgment in Texas State Court involving contractual dispute over development of nuclear power plant.
HONORS AND DISTINCTIONS
Texas Rising Stars, 2013-2015, Thompson Reuters Legal
Top 40 Under 40 Military Class of 2012, Civilian Job News
Harry S. Truman Scholar, 1998
All Texas State Courts
U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Federal Circuits
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Chair-Elect of Board of Directors, American Red Cross of Central Texas
Treasurer, Hispanic Bar Association of Austin
Director, West Point Society of Central Texas
Associate Member, Calvert Inn of Court
Member, Austin Bar Association
Former Deacon, Hill Country Bible Church Southwest
Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND
J.D., Harvard Law School, cum laude, 2007
B.S. Chemistry/Life Science, United States Military Academy, Distinguished Cadet, 1999
Adjunct Professor, Northeastern University
Law Clerk, Judge Priscilla R. Owen, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2008-2009
Captain, Field Artillery, United States Army, 1999-2004